Today was fairly uneventful. Other than his first real bottle feeding, there's not a whole lot to report. :) Although I guess he did have his first real burp today. I'm sure that you all wanted to know that. :) Again, it's the little things that now get us very excited. All of those little things that seem so remedial are things that Jackson is just now learning- while on ECMO and until this point, these things were all done for him so he has to learn how to swallow, cough, etc. So the little things are very exciting steps for us and one step closer to our little man coming home and finally being home together as a family.
Thanks again for all of your prayers and support! I (Melissa) am starting to finally feel a little better and able to spend some time with Jackson again so that has been a big encouragement for me. I was able to be at the hospital for a few hours earlier today and then in the evening as well. It was so hard being home and longing to be there but knowing that I just couldn't do it. Although the progress feels slow, I am thankful for every day of feeling better! I didn't realize how awful I was feeling until I got on meds and started improving. :) At this very moment, while I am typing this, is the first time I have not had fairly intense pain since the birth several weeks ago, and it is so wonderful. :) Praise God!! Woohoo!! I think I just got used to it and thought it was normal. :) Fortunately, my dr.'s office is wonderful and they were looking out for me! (Thanks Angela and doc!) :) And thank you so very much to all who were praying! If you wouldn't mind continuing to pray, just that I would continue to heal completely without any other setbacks so that I can fully be there for my son and hubby, and that Joe would stay healthy as well. The whole daily grind of the NICU can be somewhat exhausting at times as accommodating and wonderful as Children's Mercy is.
We will keep you all posted on his progress- sorry this post made it out rather late! We love you all and continue to thank God for His blessings in our lives. We are so very grateful. :) Love to all!
16 comments:
Congrads of getting to hold little Jackson. He is such a strong baby. The pictures are just priceless. I will continue to pray for yours and his speedy recovery.
How wonderful those pic. of you & Joe holding little (Big) Jack. what a truly blessing. and don't you fret any at not getting the posts sent when you want. You need your rest and the posts will come as you get your rest. In the meanwhile we will continue to keep praying for you all.
This is a little song that came to my mind again as it has other times as I've read your posts.
May the blessing of the
Lord be upon you.
May the blessing of the
Lord be your guide.
May the blessing of the
Lord be upon you,
For You are more then a conquer when Christ is by your side.
Anthony says, "that is awesome."
We love you,
God bless you always
Aunt Sarah and Family
what a lovely family...God is so good! We rejoice with your answered prayers of progress and we continue to pray for your needs.
In Him,
Lori and Randy Anderson
Oh I love it! I love how he is just really looking at you and studying you! How beautiful! I'm so glad that you are starting to feel better!
So good to see you doing so well. All I can say is that kid looks just like Joe. Wow.
z
How amazing the power of prayer and faith can be if we believe!
I am so happy for all of you. Jack looks great. Your smiles say it all. Hnag in and we will contiune to pray for all of you. Just love and hold that baby and the rest will come.
Susan Spaw
My Mother heart rejoices with you as you get to hold your little man.
I am so thankful for all of the answered prayers.
In Him,
Maggie
awww. getting to hold your boy finally! i can't imagine waiting that long. so glad you can do it now. Miss- take care of yourself. Rest when you need to! You have two boys who need you to be healthy!!
YES YES YES!!! So happy for you guys to get to hold your baby boy!!!!! The pics are fantastic and they always make me cry!!! Continuing to pray for you too Melissa. You are one strong family. Keep the prayer requests coming so God can complete His work.
Blessings...Jocelyn, Matt, Abraham and Jericho Riley
Oh YEAH!!! I'm just in awe of how wonderful our God is and what a miracle this has been. Thank you Melissa for the "thankful" blog entry and reminding us of how much we have to be thankful. Continue to get rest (you too Joe) as you can and we'll continue to send the prayers your way.
Love you all!
Sonja
I hope you did some weightlifting in preparation for holding Jackson. I can't believe he's over 11 lbs already!!
i am so happy to see you holding your baby boy!!! AND that you are now feeling better!!
Awesome news! I'm so glad to hear things keep getting more and more positive. Hopefully you will be able to bring your baby boy home soon!
You probably don't know me, but my family and I go to Antioch as well. I have been following your story with Jackson, and I can sort of relate. Our first son had meconium in the womb as well, the dr thought it had probably been about a week. Thankfully, my water broke at the beginning of labor, and as the fluid turned green (alerting us to the meconium), the dr thought it best to go ahead with the c-section, even though all looked well at the time (as with you and Jackson). Our son was 9 lbs. 4 oz., so he was big too! The dr. actually showed me the umbilical cord and it was all green and twisted like a rope - he said it should be clear and straight. Thankfully, the worst was that he "squeaked" when he breathed for the first few hours, but was fine after that.
Your story has made me that much more aware of how close we came to having these exact same issues with our first. When I first read your story, I choked up trying to relay it to my husband, and went and hugged my now 5-year-old son tight (of course, he was like, "what are you doing mom, I'm trying to play!" LOL)
Our second didn't have meconium issues, but was born 8 weeks early and consequently had to spend time in the NICU (at St. Luke's on the Plaza). He was there for 3.5 weeks, so I know a little of what it's like.
That is so awesome that you are getting to hold your baby now! It is so wonderful to feel that connection and bonding with your baby, to feel like you're really "doing" something to comfort and help him get better. They probably told you this, but one thing you can do is wear a shirt all day so it has your scent, then wrap him in it or leave it near him somehow while you're gone. He will know your scent and it can help him "sense" you even when you can't be there.
But that is just so great that he is starting to do better! That's awesome that he is working on taking food orally. That is a huge step to coming home! We hope and pray that Jackson will be able to come home very soon, and you can all be together as a family in your own home, healthy and happy. :-)
So cool you got to hold him and feed him...so joyful for you and Joe, Miss. Will continue praying for you all.. Love lots! Bethie
Is it ok for me to sit here and crying happy tears for you? I am so happy that you can hold him. It means so very much, I know. Thank you Jesus!
Melissa, I'm also so glad that you are getting to feel better. May you continue to improve faster than anyone thought possible!
Post a Comment