Intro

This blog is dedicated to updates and info on the life of Jackson Nathanael Adam. Jackson was critically ill when born and had to go on ECMO (heart and lung bypass). He made a miraculous recovery, and this is his story! Our intention with this blog was to update friends and family on Jackson's progress and specific prayer requests we had during his extensive stay in the NICU. We will probably move to a family website at some point. :) Thank you for loving him!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Birth to present

Here is some background info on how we got where we are today with Jackson in the NICU.

Day 1, Friday June 13th

THE BIRTH ~ I began having contractions around 1 a.m.- very close together but sporadic. Woke Joe up at 3, started timing- again, extremely close together (30 seconds to 1 minute 40 seconds) and still sporadic. Very odd. My water broke at home and we noticed that it had meconium (baby's first stool or poop) in it. We drove to the hospital and were admitted. Meconium was present, but it wasn't considered a huge issue at the time as this is not an uncommon occurrance. Labor progressed extremely quickly and we really thought it was going to continue that way. At 2:00, things appeared to be going well, the printouts looked normal, everything was progressing. However, several things started to get complicated after that. At around 3, I began to get a fever. My fever spiked within two hours, indicating that there was some infection involved, which was immediately treated with antibiotics. Also, the contractions were coming so quickly that Jackson wasn't having much opportunity to "rest" and they wanted to give him a break. So, they gave me some medication to slow the contractions. After giving him a break, they decided to start pitocin. Also, another concern at this point was that he was turned sunny side up, and he just wasn't turning, which would make delivery difficult. His vitals were fluctuating and it seemed like he was getting exhausted. When the doctor reviewed the printouts of his vitals, she decided that even though I was 9 centimeters dialated at this point, he would not be able to tolerate the projected 2-3 hour labor, and they decided an emergency C-section was the route we needed to go.

From this point, Jackson was born via C-section within about 20 minutes. I received a higher epidural block en route to the surgical room. Jackson was born and immediately it became apparent that a C-section was definitely the right decision. First of all, he was 9 pounds, 7.6 ounces! :) We thought he was about 21 inches long, but my doctor stopped and saw him today and said she thinks he's at least 22 or 23 inches long, we're not quite sure as he hasn't been measured yet as this isn't a priority at the time with him being so sick. But he is a big chunky boy. :) I'm not sure where he got his height, definitely not me!! :)

POST DELIVERY ~ Immediately following the c-section it became apparent that he had been in distress for quite some time in utero, and had aspirated (inhaled) large amounts of meconium. Most of the time, meconium aspiration is not necessarily a serious problem, but in situations where there is heavy amounts aspirated it can become life threatening, as it is in Jackson's case. In a nutshell, the inhalation of meconium into the lungs can plug airway exchanges and, worse, causes a chemical reaction resulting in irritation and inflamation in the lungs. When this happens blood cannot sufficiently flow and exchange oxygen for carbon dioxide. Therefore amount of oxygen flowing through his blood is severy reduced resulting in low blood oxygen saturation. Extremely reduced blood oxygen can result in brain damage and death. For more info on this condition click on this informative link.


It also became apparent that Jackson was also fighting off an infection of some sort, just like mom, only this infection was unknown (and partially still is). Combined with the meconium this infection has aggravated the situation even more and appears to be a large part of our problem now as well.

Immediately following the birth, he was taken to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) where he was placed on a respirator to attempt to increase the oxygen flow to his lungs. This failed to provide the necessary oxygen levels to support him and therefore he was placed on an oscillator, which pumps short, quick bursts of oxygen into his lungs to keep his lungs fully inflated as much as possible. While this helped, it only produced enough oxygen to keep his oxygen saturation above brain damage level. It was at this time that they determined he should be transported to Children's Mercy Hospital in downtown Kansas City.

THE TRANSPORT ~ I (Melissa) was stitched up and they started working on decreasing my fever and dealing with my infection. The Children's Mercy transport team stopped by before they left to let me see Jackson as I was only, briefly, able to see him from a distance as they rolled him out of the operating room. Here is what he looked like before he left. It broke my heart.

Joe and my father Darwin followed Jackson to Children's Mercy and my mom stayed with me at North Kansas City Hospital.

ARRIVAL AT CHILDREN'S ~ At Children's Mercy, Joe and dad met with the medical staff to discuss options. The concern was that on the oscillator, by the time Jackson would be able to recover from the meconium aspiration, that his lungs would have been beaten badly and fail under the long term strain of the machine. At that time, Jackson was given a 20% chance of survival if he remained on the oscillator. However, as a last resort, the doctors gave us the option of performing a process called ECMO, which they believed would give him an 80% chance for survival. They use this process as a last resort due to the complications and severity of the surgery being performed. The ECMO machine, which is basically a heart and lung bypass machine, continuously pumps blood from Jackson's body through a membrane oxygenator (basically an artificial lung) that oxygenates his blood and pumps it back into his body. In order to do this, Jackson's right carotid artery and external jugular vein were severed so that cannulae (tubes) could be inserted into each, one taking the blood away from his heart and the other returning the blood to his heart. For more information on ECMO, click on this link.


After much discussion with the medical teams, Joe and I made the decision to place Jackson on ECMO and the surgical team was brought in around midnight to begin this process.

Day 2, Saturday, June 14th

The ECMO surgery was performed from midnight until approximately 1:30 a.m. and went well. Jackson stabilized shortly after the surgery and his oxygen saturation climbed to 100%. Joe and dad stayed at Children's Mercy throughout the evening monitoring Jackson's progress while mom stayed with me at North Kansas City Hospital. This is a picture of Jackson immediately following the ECMO procedure.




Sunday through present

I (Melissa) was discharged from North Kansas City Hospital on Monday afternoon, after they determined my infection was under control and I was able to finally see my little son. He is beautiful and chunky, with little cheeks and a button nose. :) From the time of surgery until he comes off of ECMO, we are basically in a stabilization period, waiting for Jackson's lungs to recover, for the infection to be subside, and meconium to reabsorb into the body. We will post daily prayer requests as issues and situations arise for which we would greatly appreciate your prayers. Our most immediate prayer request tonight is that you would pray Jackson's oxygen saturation levels would come up, they were low last night & throughout the day today. We are taking it one day at a time & are so thankful for your support & prayers through this difficult time. We are trusting the Lord that He can provide our miracle. We love you all.







25 comments:

jayjenhall said...

Wow -- he is a chunky little boy! And what a little fighter! I am so happy that you can be with your son now, and we continue to pray for Jack's rapid and miraculous recovery. Thanks for keeping us updated.

McCance said...

Hi. I'm Sara Page's cousin and just wanted you to know that I'm praying for your family and your little Jackson. He is a beautiful baby. I pray that his recovery be quick and you will be comforted throughout it.

Shadley said...

HE IS BEAUTIFUL!

We are praying and thinking of you and your son often! I think he looks like Joe with your button nose :)

Love you guys!!

SarahH said...

What a beautiful baby. Lord, I pray that you would protect little Jack, give the doctors wisdom and knowledge of the right things to do, heal his lungs, protect his little brain, rid his body of any ongoing infection, and raise his oxygen levels. Please heal him and give his parents peace and allow them to find rest while "living" at the hospital.

Buck and Jess! said...

Good Morning Missy with the beautiful smile :) This is Jesseca from college--Rosie emailed me this link and the news about your baby boy. First of all, congratulations, the picture of the two of you is so sweet. You've got that mommy love written all over your face :) Recovering from c-sections is something I've done four times, so I will be praying for you, and of course for Jackson. You've had to make some big decisions in your first hours of parenthood. I'm so thankful God is guiding you and the surgery is helping your little guy. Your family will be in my prayers!

emily said...

um...I LOVE him! He is chunky and he is wonderful! I'm praying and know that God will use his precious life for GREAT things! So...we are also wondering...is he hairy!? We thought with the combination of you and Joe...he's got to be hairy!!! haha! Shadley...back me up on this...:) Love you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

We are friends of Emily's from Austin, and we have a baby Jackson too! We are encouraged by your strength, and are praying for you daily! Your baby Jackson is so strong and a true miracle! We are touched by your story, and will continue to pray for your family!
The Finns

Anonymous said...

I was sent this blog by a coworker. I just want you to know that I am praying for Jack and your family. I know that miracles can happen every day. I was given a 25% chance of living after being born with congenital heart defects, and just celebrated my 28th birthday. Please keep your hope and your spirits up. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Bupil said...

He is absolutly beautiful!:):) I am praying!

K in Colorado Springs, CO said...

What a handsome little boy. Our baby was 9lbz 8oz and I think it is the perfect size... go Jackson! We think of you guys a lot and will keep praying for your needs as a new little family.~The Noxons

Melissa said...

Em- we can't really tell if he's really hairy, we can't really see his back much...but honestly, he doesn't seem very hairy, kinda weird! His eyebrows are starting to come in, though, so who knows... :) We almost got him to open his eyes yesterday and his little eyelashes are sorta folded up...the nurses said they think they're long... :) Thanks for your prayers everyone...your support means so much and is so encouraging- we're going to post updates today... Miss :)

Sue-diddly-udinym said...

Hi, pals. What a sweet picture of Melissa and her boy -- together again! Praying for you all. <3

hilaRy said...

What God continues to bring to my heart is that HE loves Jack more than you both ever could. Knowing that seems next to impossible, I pray that would cause you both to continue to trust and rest in Him.

"Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge. Selah." Psalm 62:8.

I am praying God would strengthen and sustain Jack, as well as you both. I believe in miracles.
Love you guys. hilary

Jason, Angie and Brady said...

Wow, Missy...what a story. I guess I just assume that we go to the hospital and come home with a baby, huh? I will continue to pray for healing for little Jack and for comfort and peace for you and Joe.

love you!
Angie Hubbard

steve, steph, emma and bree said...

hey missy, joe, and little jackson, this is emily's friend steph (we all spent new year's eve together practicing our pirouettes) anyway, i wanted you to know we are praying for you and your family. we are encouraged by your strength and pray for a speedy recovery and and the rejoicing that will happen when you're all united as a family and take him home for the first time. being a mom is an awesome gift and i pray the Lord watch's over you and comforts you during this whole process.
steph, steve and our little emma

Kim Ferguson said...

Missy - I am so thankful to be hearing about all this so I can be praying!

Love you hon!

Kimmie

Scott and Erin said...

Hey Missy - Jackson is a handsome little man. :) Judy and Sharon passed along your blog to me, and I just wanted you to know that you and your precious little family will be in my thoughts and prayers. May God continue to give you the strength necessary to accomplish all that is ahead - especially as you recover from surgery yourself. I was just reading in Matthew 11 this week, and hope that you too will find comfort in these words of Jesus: Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Take care,
Erin Bacchus

Anonymous said...

What a precious photo...mom and baby Jack. Still prayin today!
Hugs,
Shirl

sara lyn said...

hey missy beth...just got to read the detailed update a few minutes ago and wow. he is positively beautiful! :) i am praying...and i love you. :)

Unknown said...

Melissa and Joe,
Thank you for the specific prayer requests! You are already showing the world what wonderful parents you are; Jackson could not have been born into a more caring family. Tonight my prayers will be focused on lung expansion and higher O2 sats.
May God bless you all.
Joy (Saunders)

Connie said...

Emily's got the whole family praying for you guys. Hold on to hope as you go about your Father's work. The 3 of you are doing amazing things for His glory!!!
We're praying like crazy - Connie

Anonymous said...

Oh I can not even imagine how hard it was to see them wheel him away from you to another hospital. I just sat here and cried for you when I read that part!

I have been wishing to call since my mom called to let me know about his birth and complications, but I know that you guys must be overwhelmed with everything that's going on and I didn't want to add to it. Brent & I have been praying for you three daily and believe with you for a full recovery!

I'm so glad that you are finally able to be with him! He is a beautiful little boy!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful boy! And what a long few days it has been for such a new little guy. We are certainly praying for God's mercy in Jack's life and for his supreme comfort for all of you. You are so loved!
Sally =)

jiangong said...

He is such a beautiful little boy! What a precious gift from our God!

Thank you for sharing the pictures with us. It really broke my heart when I see the tubes around him. But I know he is a brave fighter and he is going to win!

We will continue praying for your family.

Love,

Jian

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the birth of your new little guy! You are truly blessed!! Kristy forwarded me the blog page and I just want to let you know that I am praying for Jack's quick recovery! Take care and God Bless you all!!

Lissa Miller