Intro

This blog is dedicated to updates and info on the life of Jackson Nathanael Adam. Jackson was critically ill when born and had to go on ECMO (heart and lung bypass). He made a miraculous recovery, and this is his story! Our intention with this blog was to update friends and family on Jackson's progress and specific prayer requests we had during his extensive stay in the NICU. We will probably move to a family website at some point. :) Thank you for loving him!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Finally Home!!

Hello all!!

Okay all...sorry it has been so long since our last post- getting adjusted to the little one, his meds, new sleeping schedules, etc. :) It has been WONDERFUL having him home and all in all, he is doing quite well. :) Of course his parents are trying to adjust and catch up on the past month and a half, but we will eventually get there!

Backing up a bit...

We got discharged from the hospital in the afternoon and by the time we took pictures of Jackson with some of his doctors, friends, nurses, and other staff, it was close to 6:00 pm. Hehe. Although we are thrilled to be home, we will definitely miss the wonderful friends we made and the staff at Children's Mercy. We will definitely be visiting and keeping in touch. What a blessing and a gift from the Lord. We are so thankful for the amazing staff who helped save our child's life and make the past month and a half there a little more bearable. =) We love you all!

Okay...so we left the hospital...took some pics as we left!

Getting ready to go!! Goodbye room!!
Okay...so maybe we're nerds and not many people take pics of their child in a car seat on the way home...but we didn't care. :)
Too tired for tummy time.... =) It's hard work getting discharged from the hospital!
Too bad this one turned out fuzzy, it was so stinkin' cute!!
Sweet smiles for mom....

Chillin' with my Boppy....
I love hanging out with my daddy!! The two men in my life! :)

Jackson's expression as he realizes that he truly has entered the nut house...heehee! Sorry buddy, you're stuck with us!! =)
Contemplating life...It's hard work eating! But I am getting better at it! =)


A little video for your viewing pleasure- Jackson has figured out how to bat the animals and gets so excited, it's really cute. :)

Anyway, those are a few pics from the past couple of days- sorry they are so long in coming! We have been a little busy trying to adjust to everything and catch up. Thank you to everyone who has been such a blessing throughout this whole process- there are too many people to thank.

We are planning on trying to keep up with the blog for a while- at some point we will probably switch to a family blogsight which we'll send out invites for- please let us know if you'd like to be included on that. But for now (and for a while) we are still using this site. =)

Jackson is doing well and is feeding extremely well the past couple of days, thank you for your prayers! He has consistently been taking around 120 mls at every feeding (approximately 4 oz) and we are so grateful. This has made it tricky for us to keep up with mixing everything with the fortifiers and thickeners, but well worth it. He is sleeping pretty well, in fact, we have difficulty waking him at times- I think he's used to nurses and everyone waking him up constantly that he doesn't know what to do without them! =) He's pretty happy and seems to like having sort of a schedule now and not having his sleep interrupted. I told Jackson this morning that he wakes up like his daddy!! =) (Slow and grumpy- hehe)

Other than that, we're doing good- we'll keep you posted on updates with doctors- had our pediatrician appt. and he seems to be doing well and his circumcision is healing properly. He is taking his meds well, although he hates them, and seems to be doing normal baby stuff. :)

Some prayer requests: :) (for those prayer warriors out there)

~Jackson's continued healing of his vocal cords- he is starting to make a little more noise =)

~Continued improvements with eating- for follow-up O.T. and speech pathology visits and that Jackson would tolerate any changes made to his diet/consistency

~Motor development- Jackson will be working with P.T. and O.T. on some issues and specifically issues with his head and turning it certain ways- he has difficulty turning it one way (they think it is related to ECMO and being in the NICU so long) Please pray for improvement with that!

The praises are too numerous to mention! His improvement in eating, his voice improving even a little bit, having our little boy home, support, prayer, and meals from friends and family, etc. etc. Thank you all! We are so thankful for all of you.

We will keep you all posted...as time allows... =)

Love to all, and thanks for your prayers!

Joe, Melissa, and Jackson

22 comments:

Jason, Angie and Brady said...

What an AWESOME update to read! The Lord has truly brought your family through this trial. I've enjoyed reading the updates and praying for little Jackson. I will continue to pray!

(You must be a Target shopper because I keep seeing little onesies and pj's on Jackson that I've purchased for our little man as well!)

Vitamin Z said...

We are so pumped for you guys! Could that kid look anymore like Joe? Twins for sure.

z

emily said...

I ... LOVE....HIM!!!!!!! I cried during the video. don't make fun of me...that's what I do. :) His little noises were precious! I agree with z...totally Joe! I kept checking the blog eager to see the "home" pictures! You guys look GREAT! Love you!

Shadley said...

he is so cute. love the little cooing noises. he is amazing. you would never know the ordeal he has been through. what a guy!

Meghan said...

He is so cute! I love the picture of Joe playing the guitar with him...my husband did that with ours (even though he doesn't have a clue how to play:) So happy for you all...truly.

Anonymous said...

Amazing and so glad to see you guys at home! ~Noxons

Anonymous said...

We are so happy you are home with little Jackson. I must say- he is ADORABLE! Absolutely awesome how the Lord has carried you through all of this. We will continue to pray!

Aaron & Tamara Junker

Jess and fam said...

He's got some good boxing moves there in the video :o) I love hearing his little coos and noises, sweet newborn sounds. He's so cheerful, so many smiles. You certainly have a sweet baby. It's wonderful to see him at home!

Rachel Bardwell said...

That is seriously the cutest picture where he is sleeping on the boppy under his activity mat!!

And yes, he looks just like Joe.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh my goodness... how did I find myself reading your blog? Link to link to link...

Once I saw it, Ihad to start at the beginning and read every single entry.

What a miracle baby :0)

I had to laugh though. As a mother of three boys, I have to tell you that you may look back with some small regret on the day you prayed for his vocal cords to get stronger!

Praise God, you are all home :0)

I haven't read the comment streams, so this may be redundant, but...

Sounds like little Jack has - by necessity - been exposed to a LOT of antibiotics. You'll want to keep a close eye (ear) on his hearing. I know, that seems more remote and less urgent than keeping him ALIVE, but just something to be aware of in the future.

"They" (audiologists and otolaryngologists... don't check my spelling!) can even test babies... toddlers... preschoolers. And the tests are not painful or scary. My hearing impaired son has actually always enjoyed his appointments because they make it a game :o)

I pray that it's not something you have to face... not because it's so terrible, but because you really don't need anything ELSE on your plate!

Congrats on being HOME!

A new "lurker",

Julie

andy said...

so precious you guys! so thankful you are home- what a true blessing and a miracle of life! love it! i'd love to keep updated if you switch to a fam blog!

Anonymous said...

I got goose bumps when I watched the video! Having been really sick myself recently, all the fear and pain and anxiety somehow fades away once health returns, or in Jack's case, finally arrives!

It's just difficult to believe that the sweet, happy, beautiful, juicy baby in the video is the same the baby with a thousand and one tubes just weeks ago. I believe that fading of those vivid memories is another of the Lord's gifts to us, you know?

Dear Lord,
Please stay with this family as they adjust to the next phase in their amazing lives. Give Melissa and Joe the strength and wisdom they need as new parents. Please hold Jack in your healing and loving hands. Guide Jack in learning and overcoming some of the physical challenges he and his therapists are targeting.

Lord, Thank you for your love and power in saving this little boy. He surely will be a special member of the world!

In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen

Unknown said...

We are so happy for you that you have made it home with your sweet little boy. Enjoy every moment you have with him because time goes by so fast! He is so handsome Jeremy and I have really enjoyed reading your blog and seeing pictures it is so amazing how small the world is when we have stuff like this. Thank you for keeping us all updated down her in sunny Sarasota Florida.

Love,
Jeremy,Heather, Cody, Micheal, and Hanna Borntreger

Anonymous said...

How cool is a family and at home is so special. We are so excited for you. What a blessing.
The pic. are fantastic!!! even in the car seat in the van. What an adorable son you have.
May God continue to bless you and keep you.
Love always
Aunt Sarah & Family

Anonymous said...

What fabulous pictures! I love the new cordless Jackson! He looks so happy, relaxed, active and loved! Hurray for being at home. God is so good! What an answer to prayer!

"He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it." The healing journey isn't over yet.
Love, Brent, Naomi, Elyssa & Aidan

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!Home--how sweet it is!The video is wonderful!He is such an awesome little guy,SO cute!I wish I could bring you a meal...blessings, Martha from Montana

Anonymous said...

We're so happy for the 3 of you. Jack's so cute. Before long you will wonder why you worried so about his voice, when he's yelling Mom and Dad. My nephew Tyler did not talk until he started Kindergarden and got in trouble for talking to much. Enjoy every minute, don't worry about the house. He'll remember the time you spent with him not the clean house.
Susan and Mike Spaw

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being home! I am so excited for you. Jackson is very blessed to have two such wonderful parents. I am sure you will pass on your faith, positive outlooks and senses of humor to him! I'll keep the prayers going.
Karin

Anonymous said...

How exciting-home at last!! What a beautiful family!! I have to say we all think that Jackson looks just a tad like Joe! :-) What a trooper little Jackson is-such a precious little blessing! We look forward to seeing him grow and grow they do-way too fast! I LOVE his smile and the little noises on his video were heart warming! We hope to stay on your blog list when you switch to a family blog! You are NOT weird for taking pics of Jackson in the car seat-we still do and ours have almost outgrown theirs! Thanks for sharing this journey with all of us! Blessings to you! The Barnes Family

Jenna M said...

Missy, I am so glad that you are home with Jackson. what a cutie. I had to smile at many of your comments...they remind me of you:) Can't wait to hear how Jackson is doing in the weeks to come.
We will keep praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

Hey now!
THIS is a home video that we WON'T
be bored with!! What a treat to hear both of your voices :)
I think you and Joe should take up photography.....love the pictures!
Hugs,
Shirl
P.S. and continuing to pray!

Anonymous said...

Melissa, you and Jack are cracking me up with your little mohawks. Pretty rad. My favorite picture though: Joe welcoming Jack to the nut house. HI-larious.