Intro

This blog is dedicated to updates and info on the life of Jackson Nathanael Adam. Jackson was critically ill when born and had to go on ECMO (heart and lung bypass). He made a miraculous recovery, and this is his story! Our intention with this blog was to update friends and family on Jackson's progress and specific prayer requests we had during his extensive stay in the NICU. We will probably move to a family website at some point. :) Thank you for loving him!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Update long coming...

Before I (Joe) head home for some rest this evening I wanted to be sure to post an update for everyone as you all have been so diligent in praying for Jackson. I certainly do not want to leave you hanging in suspense of any news that may have occurred over the course of the day. So, do you want pictures or an update first?...I thought so...

Tummy time with dad!


I just had to post another one of these!
Have you every felt like this?
OK...for all of you who think that Jackson is sooooooo cute (which of course he is), I thought I'd show you the other side that you've been missing all this time!!
Check out the mullet! He's also sporting the bird comb, which always gives us a chuckle. I think he looks like Sloth from the Goonies from this angle (I, of course, being Joe because my wife would never say that about our son...hehe). And of course you can tell which way he likes to turn his head when he's sleeping (a result of ECMO).

OK, that was a good warm up. Now for some updates and pictures. Can you tell what is different about this picture? That's right! No more feeding tube! Whoo hoo! Jackson got his feeding tube out on Monday and is taking all feedings by mouth now. This also means the Jackson is 100% tube free for the first time in his life! As you know if you've been following the blog, the one thing that has been holding us here in the hospital is Jackson's feedings.

So...can you tell what is different about this picture?

..OK, so we haven't gone home yet. :) But, the hospital does like to check the car seat setup prior to discharge, so we figured why not knock that out of the way in hopes of good news. :) So on that note, we did receive word today that they are planning to send us home this Friday or Saturday barring any issues between now and then. Yeah!! We may actually be going home! This Friday will be 6 weeks and we are more than ready to settle in at our own house.

A couple more updates. As you know from past blogs Jackson has been having high blood pressure readings the past few days and has caused some concern. Yesterday they tested his urine to check for any signs of kidney problems. The results came back good. No signs of problems from those tests. So a Renal Ultrasound was order (ultrasound of the Kidneys) to be done this morning to check the blood flow in the kidneys and vessels. In case you are not aware (I certainly was not), high blood pressure in infants is often attributed to kidney issues. Since the blood is filtered by the kidneys if there is a lack of blood flow the kidneys will send a message to the brain to increase the pressure, resulting in high blood pressure. So the ultrasound was done this morning.

We were very pleased when the doctors came back and told us that they did not find anything that alarmed them at this point. They did find that there was a slight difference in flow from one kidney compared to the other, but this was not of great concern at this time. Because all signs point to Jackson doing well other than some of the blood pressure readings, they told us that they would continue to monitor the pressures but that it could just be the equipment and taking readings at times when he is less settled.

Tonight we are still having high blood pressure readings even when he is sleeping, so please continue to pray for Jackson's blood pressure and that there would not be any issues that have not surfaced. We are quite ready to go home and are trusting the Lord for complete healing of Jackson in Jesus' name.

....oh, and one more update....Jackson had his circumcision this afternoon....but who wants to talk about that...let's look at another cute picture!! Nice job working the camera, Melissa!

We continually give thanks to our God and Creator for the blessing of our son. And we thank Him daily for our family and Friends across the country - around the world - who have been there to support us. We thank you for your comments, support, and continued prayer for Jackson.

Joe, Melissa, and Jackson

13 comments:

emily said...

Joe, you are hilarious! I LOVE that last picture of you guys!!! SO sweet and so handsome!!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Home will be the best! Prayers, of course, continue. Thanks for the pictures. I think all of us feel as if we know your little guy already. I hope you won't stop the blog when you get home. I'm open to getting new pictures for the next 20 years.
Love to all three,
Linda Y.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome news!! I have been reading Jackson's blog daily. (sometimes more than once) : ) Haven't posted anything until now because I wasn't exactly sure how to do it. Been sending prayers your way and hope you guys get to go home tomorrow. I bet you are SUPER excited!! He is so cute and I can see both Joe and Scott in him. (sorry Missy!) : ) Can't wait to meet him!

Love,
Tonya

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful site. Jackson in a car seat without any tubes. I'm so excited for you all that he gets to go home soon and you all can get on with a normal routine. Mike is ready to fix you a meal. Just let us know when we can bring it to you. We continue to pray for Jackson that his B\P will return to normal and stay there and that his feedings continue to work well.
Love,
Susan and Mike Spaw

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord
What a blessing.
It is great to get the blog And of courese the pictures are amazing. There is no place like home. I hope you all can get some extra rest soon. and not necessarly have to blog at night.
Blesssings always
Aunt Sarah & family

Anonymous said...

It's so wonderful to read the news! I've been praying for little Jackson and both of you daily as I check for updates. Having never met Joe, I can see he is a perfect match for you Missy after reading this last post. :) My sisters and I were all in Kansas City and were hoping to get a chance to see you and Jack but things didn't work out. Praise the Lord for all He has done in the last 6 weeks. I will continue to pray for you all. God bless!

Laura (Cannon) Harrington

Anonymous said...

What GREAT news ... your family finally able to be "home" together. We continue to ask God to heal and protect Jackson and to give strength and encouragement to his mommy and daddy. Celebrating your wonderful news!

Mike and Julie (Schoeman) O'Connor

Shadley said...

Yay for a TUBE FREE JACK!! He is precious with or without tubes, but let's keep him tubeless!!!

I am so happy for you guys. Praise Jesus.

Anonymous said...

PTL for some GOOD news tonight!!!
He'd definitely cute with or without tubages but we want him without them for the rest of his life!!!
Loved they way today's blog was set up....sorta a whole story with the happy ending and all!
Praying for the really happy ending of going home tomorrow!!!!
Shirl

Anonymous said...

I am so, so, sooooooo happy to see that Jackson is CORDLESS!!! Woot! (Did they just wait until we left to take the tube out? What rascals. :) Oh well, As least I got to see him and hold him!)

Thank the Lord for good test results. I got so excited seeing him in that car seat. I know it will be so wonderful to be back in your own home!

Did the circ, huh? I'm so sorry little buddy. No fun. If I may share from my experience, keep using vaseline even when you think he probably doesn't need it anymore.

Much love and prayers are still heading your way!
Brent & Amy

Unknown said...

Great news and lovely pictures!
Hope you can all go home soon :)

Katya

Anonymous said...

HALLAELUJAH! We are thrilled for you and so thankful to God for answering our prayers with a big YES!
Love and hugs from California,
xoxox
Arnie & Diana

machriste said...

What good news! Jackson is such a darling little boy. It has been a joy to read the blog, note the progress and know what loving parents you two are. Of course, I will continue to pray for you all. I'm so happy to learn you will be taking Jackson home today or tomorrow. He certainly does look good in that car seat.
Maren's mom, Marilyn