Intro

This blog is dedicated to updates and info on the life of Jackson Nathanael Adam. Jackson was critically ill when born and had to go on ECMO (heart and lung bypass). He made a miraculous recovery, and this is his story! Our intention with this blog was to update friends and family on Jackson's progress and specific prayer requests we had during his extensive stay in the NICU. We will probably move to a family website at some point. :) Thank you for loving him!

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Day 37...and counting. :)

Sorry it's been a while, folks.....finally getting to post a quick update.

First of all....we got moved...! This is a good thing, and happened rather quickly. We moved to another area of the hospital with kids who are more stable and actually have our own room! It is still considered the ICN I believe, but is for the more stable ICN patients who only have a few issues. This is an incredible blessing because there is a place where we can take naps and stay overnight if we choose to, as well as some chairs and a bathroom! Woohoo! Both Joe and I stayed overnight here last night so that we could do Jackson's cares, feeds, temp checks, etc. and work on establishing some sort of continuity for him. The first day (Friday) when I was here was rough as it was quite different for Jackson. It was very quiet, first of all, compared to the openness of the NICU and he had difficulty. But we are pleased to say that he did better last night. They are having us stretch his overnight feedings to 4 hours if he is sleeping, and Joe and I sort of rotated taking naps when possible throughout the night on the cushions by the window (we can sort of both fit there but it's difficult, so we kind of alternate). All in all, we are so thankful for this room, because it saves us so much travel time and allows us to sit, sleep, eat in the room, and use the restroom without having to leave the floor or hospital for long periods of time.

Below is a pic of the room. I'm in the background helping the nurse with her hourly assessment, diaper change, temp check, etc. Jackson doesn't mind those so much, but he absolutely HATES
his blood pressure being taken, so that's always fun. :)



So Joe had to snap a picture of our bathroom- we are nerds. It's just so nice not to have to wait in line after 6 weeks of it!! =) Here is Jackson getting weighed...he also hates this process, but actually did quite well last night!
And last but not least, bathtime! Jackson is growing to tolerate this better, and actually even kicks his legs a bit. He is so cute!!
Looking at dad.....notice his little baby acne that showed up a couple days ago- it is already getting better. Kinda funny!
All wrapped up in my ducky bathrobe! We brought this one from home because it was a little softer than the hospital towels- Jackson was a cute little quacker. Thanks Aunt Tara!! =)

Mama's little ducky...
Daddy's little buddy....

Sooo...long and short of it...I have to run but here's the low-down.



Prayer Requests:
~ Jackson's oral feedings- that he would continue to increase. We got him to take his first 100 ml orally today, which was a HUGE praise and took a lot of effort on the part of Joe and I to keep him awake but he finally made it through. As he builds his endurance and gets more coordinated with the suck, breathe, swallow mechanism, this will become easier hopefully! They want him to be attaining close to his full feedings on a fairly regular basis for several days before we talk about discharge. Although it's very sporadic (100 one time, 30 the next), he is gradually improving. If he cannot handle it before we leave, we will maybe be looking at going over training for tube feedings. But hopefully that won't be necessary!


~ Other NICU parents who have lost their children this week- so heartbreaking and our hearts go out to them. Please be in prayer for them. We've gotten to know several families during our stay here who mean a lot to us, and are hurting for them in these difficult times.


~ Healing for Jackson's vocal cords- that he would continue to improve and his followup visits would be positive and show improvement, possibly allowing us to go to thinner consistencies of liquid for feedings.


~ Insurance- Although we have jokingly referred to Jackson as our "million-dollar baby" we didn't realize how quickly the costs would add up! :) We are blessed to have good insurance but please pray there are not issues with this. We know there is a possibility some things may not be covered and are hoping that we won't hit our lifetime insurance maximum before all is said and done, so continued prayer for that would be wonderful.


~ Our marriage and strength and endurance as we walk through this together- that we would continue to grow closer to each other and the Lord through this and praise Him for all that He has done.


~ My follow-up OB appointment in a couple weeks. I've been feeling a bit funky, but I am hoping it is just exhaustion and not recurrant infections. Pray that I can stay healthy to be with Jackson and take a load off of Joe. Pray for strength for Joe as he works and tries to balance all of this.


~ Continued good results for Jackson's motor development follow-up- babies on ECMO can exhibit later signs of hearing loss, motor skill development loss, etc... These are things the doctors will be watching for.


~ Continued health and immunity for Jackson when he gets to go home and wisdom for us in dealing with his specific needs during this first year. We had been planning on me staying home with Jackson, but with all of this, that will definitely be the route we are taking. Pray that he continues to stay healthy and amazes everyone!


Praises:


~ Jackson's oral feedings going well!


~ Jackson's alertness and how much more he is interacting with us.


~ That we have insurance!! Praise the Lord!! Phew. :)


~ Encouragement and strength from the Lord as of lately- you all have been such a blessing and encouragement, thank you!!


~ Continued health thus far for both of us!


~ Jackson doing well last night as far as sleep, etc. He is starting to adjust and get his nights and days straight, which is difficult for NICU babies. And he can actually sleep without loud noises, which is a great improvement- his first night over here with it being quieter was very difficult for him.


~ Having a room in which we can sleep, eat, etc. In addition to that, we don't have to sign out in order to have people visit him, which is nice.


~ And of course, thankfulness for Jackson's miraculous recovery- we are so thankful knowing all of the complications of ECMO and what the Lord has brought him through. We don't take this miracle lightly.


Thanks so much! We will keep you posted.


Love to all!
Joe, Miss, and Jackson :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Lord,
Please continue to be with this family. Give them the strength and patience to face each day, hour and minute.
Please hold Jackson in your loving and healing hands. Help him to learn what he needs to learn and become a pro.
Please grant these wonderful parents health and strength now and in the years to come. Jackson needs them to help him grow in to the boy we know he has the ability to become.
Finally, please erase the financial worries from Joe and Melissa's minds. Allow them to spend their precious energy on loving one another and Jackson.
In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Amen.

Buck and Jess! said...

Wow--you guys are amazing! I just cry and cry every time I read an update, especially the good ones :o) It's such a blessing to hear of your faith and perseverence. Jackson is so cute--I just love all the pictures you post of him and the ducky towel is precious! I know we're far away, but if you need anything, let us know :)

kate1120 said...

I'm so glad to hear you guys have your own space now! Jackson is adorable in that ducky towel!

You know the Lord provides...try not to worry about the money.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe & Melissa,
I just want to say that your blog has been wonderful to follow. I have been praying for you all ever since I heard of Jackson's birth. I have so enjoyed reading your blog and seeing the pictures of your beautiful son that the Lord has given you, what a blessing he is and such a cutie. I hope someday I will get to meet him in person. Even though I am far away, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers often and I will look forward to watching God's hand at work in Jackson's little life. You know me and babies, I wish I were close by to help you :). Love and prayers, Jill Couch, Sarajevo, Bosnia.

Anonymous said...

Joe and Miss, we are so very thankful for you both. Our hearts just swell with love, joy and pride in all that God is doing in and through you. Please keep on reaching out to your hospital-mates. God never teaches us things to hold in to ourselves but rather to share freely and lovingly with others.
Our prayer:
Lord you have done so much; our faith is growing more with each event. So now we ask again boldly as you’ve instructed to do. 1. Heal Jackson’s throat and vocal cord area. 2. Sustain the love and unity between husband and wife as they have requested for us to pray. Stay the hand of the enemy that wants to use problems of this life to bring division in marriages. 3. Continue to bring peace and praise in that new room. Fill it with the sweet presence of the Holy Spirit. May all fears of complications be put into the trusting hands of God’s peace so that Christ may be lifted high. Amen
Love you dearly,
Mom & Dad in AR

emily said...

Thanks for the update Miss! He is so big! I love the ducky robe. SO sweet! You guys look great. I'm continually amazed at God's grace and His power! I love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I may need to sart off by introducing myself: Joe's cousin Regina (Schrock) Wilcox from Montana, Willie and Martha's daughter. I have been keeping tabs on you through the blog and just wanted to drop by and let you know that you 3 have lots of people praying for you! Your son is absolutely gorgeous! Congrats! We look forward to hearing more updates on the miracles that God is doing in little Jack's life! Hang in there and know that you are loved!
Hugs,
Gina