Intro

This blog is dedicated to updates and info on the life of Jackson Nathanael Adam. Jackson was critically ill when born and had to go on ECMO (heart and lung bypass). He made a miraculous recovery, and this is his story! Our intention with this blog was to update friends and family on Jackson's progress and specific prayer requests we had during his extensive stay in the NICU. We will probably move to a family website at some point. :) Thank you for loving him!

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Possibly thinning liquids!! Woohoo!!

Hey all...

Sorry so pokey in writing. =) Update: We heard back from O.T. this week- as we've mentioned before, our O.T. gal is AWESOME and we love her. She worked really hard to coordinate everything and get it figured out- which means contacting the ENT for his thoughts/report, speech pathology, our pediatrician, Jack's doctors, and all the while coordinating with me on the phone and email this week. She is amazing and we are so appreciative of her hard work.

ANYWAY! :) Sooooo....the ENT thought that since Jack's vocal cords looked so good, we could possibly look to starting to thin his liquids down. As I explained before, the ENT said his epiglottal stenosis had resolved, and his right vocal cord was moving some now. Woohoo!! :)

After some discussion, it was decided that we would go in for another quick swallow study to make sure he is not aspirating at all. If you remember, we had an OPM (swallow study) about 2 months ago (?) and it is a continuous x-ray, so it's not something they want to do constantly. But Jack is a good eater and will hopefully show them what they need quickly, so they can just get an idea.

The reason for choosing this route is primarily b/c upon looking back on Jack's last OPM, he was deemed a "silent aspirator." What this means is that he gave no indication clinically that he was aspirating liquids into his lungs. No coughing, choking, etc. He just aspirated silently and we were able to view it through the X-ray as the Barium went down his throat. Therefore, they felt it the wisest decision to go in for another quick OPM just to make sure. If he does okay on some thinner consistencies, we may thicken a little bit less for a week to see how he does... and then maybe be able to quit all together. Soooooo....prayer requests. :)

1. Please pray that Jack's OPM would go well- it is early next week. Pray he gives proper indication of how well he is swallowing (good or bad) and that it goes well!

2. Pray that Jack continues to stay healthy. He's seemed a smidge (just a smidge) congested to me this week- not really enough to say that I think he's sick, or getting sick, but enough to make me wonder if he is going to get a little cold. (which could hinder any progress at this point). Please pray for his health, especially in the next couple months. I'm trying to be really careful with him- pray for wisdom for me. He was really fussy last night, but does not have a fever or anything. So far he is doing okay.

Other than that, no real new news. Jack's doing well- currently sleeping (hopefully). I have him in the pack and play while I wash his sheets b/c he has been peeing/pooping through his clothes/sheets twice within the last 24 hours. I'm not sure what his deal is, but I think maybe I will have to stick with the Pampers for a while (the other brand is the one that is leaking).

I'll leave you with a pic of Jackson from yesterday when we visited his daddy at work. Jackson had fun riding the little donkey (well, we had fun watching him anyway). Joe's coworker Lisa was sweet enough to snap some pics and send them to me and I couldn't resist posting one. :) Thanks Lisa!!

That's all I've got. Take care, all, we'll keep you posted! Thanks for the prayers!

Love,
Joe, Miss, and Jackson :)

5 comments:

Kevin and Kathy Melcher said...

That is great news that Jackson can try another swallow study. Sounds like he has been getting in some good practice at swallowing with how well he is eating. Good luck next week and we will be cheering Jackson on.

My Three Sons said...

That is great news on the thickener. I will be praying for Jackson to have a great OPM next week. Let me know when you'll be there. I know right off the top of my head that we do have an appointment set up with OT this Wed at 0930. We basically have one every Wed for the next 12 weeks. We went yesterday and we are not looking any closer to giving Simply Thick up yet.

As far as the diapers, I have tried Luvs, Huggies, Wal-Mart brand and Pampers and Pampers is the only one Carson can wear and not leak. I have always wondered why that is.

Anyways, hope Jackson stays healthy and we will pray for you.

BTW did Jackson get a flu shot or will he be getting one? Carson has gotten one every Oct and knock on wood, we have never had any illness related to that. So I'm a firm believer that it really does help.

Anonymous said...

I love pampers swaddlers! Jonas is about to grow out of them and I will miss them. Jackson continues to be too cute! We are still praying for you guys.

Jessica (and Chris, Tobin, and Jonas)

Anonymous said...

Yeah! We'll be praying for him.

My kids would always start leaking when they were starting to outgrow their diapers. They outgrow them long before they reach the top weight. I loved Luvs for Elyssa, but Aidan leaks in them. I've had good success with White Cloud brand for him.

I'm sure you'll be able to get the leaking stopped soon. It's a pain.

a said...

I still can't believe our babies are a day apart. :) When Addie gets released, let's do a side-by-side photo for comparison!

We'll be praying for Jackson this week!