Intro

This blog is dedicated to updates and info on the life of Jackson Nathanael Adam. Jackson was critically ill when born and had to go on ECMO (heart and lung bypass). He made a miraculous recovery, and this is his story! Our intention with this blog was to update friends and family on Jackson's progress and specific prayer requests we had during his extensive stay in the NICU. We will probably move to a family website at some point. :) Thank you for loving him!

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Physical Therapy

Hey all,

Just a quick little note. We had another physical therapy appointment yesterday morning. Overall, it went pretty well. The therapist was pleased with Jack's head control and said he is pretty on target for most things. That was encouraging to hear because NICU babies tend to be behind on developmental things as they got a late start on most things. Overall she was happy with the way his head looked- said the sides of his head were rounded nicely, that the bone structure looked good. Sometimes NICU babies can have alterations in their bone structure from lying certain ways.....she did say that the back was a little flat, but that was to be expected with a baby who was in the condition that he was (and not able to move around for the first month or so of life at all really). Also, Jack was born a larger baby (at 9 pounds, 7 ounces!) so he's probably not as spry as a little squirt. :) (He hated his tummy at first but now seems to like it okay until he gets tired, then he starts to scream....but at least now he enjoys playing on his tummy for a while).

She said that we shouldn't be crazy concerned about it at this point as there is plenty of time yet and the more he starts to move around, the more that will improve and he will move himself off of that spot that he tends to favor. She encouraged us to continue the things we were doing and gave me some more exercises to work on with him.

He also is continuing to tilt his head to the right (the torticollis). Although that seems quite a bit better, she showed me more things to work on that with him as well. He does it most often in the car seat and when he's flat on his back, and she showed me ways to roll towels to keep him from doing it. However, it doesn't really work with Jackson, he just smushes his face right in the towel and falls asleep with his head tilted. :) She said as long as we don't have him in his car seat for prolonged periods of time it shouldn't be a huge issue. (Obviously we can't avoid that completely!) Overall she thought he was definitely improved from last time, so that was encouraging.

All in all, Jack had fun until the end when he started to get hungry (and tired). It will be nice not to have any dr. appointments for a few days now again as it seems like when we have them they take up most of our day. =)

Sorry no pictures, I didn't think to take any. =) Have a wonderful Thursday! :)

Melissa

7 comments:

My Three Sons said...

Sounds like your PT is like Carson's OT. He just has so much fun. We had a conflict yesterday so his OT appointment is actually today at 2:00. Which therapist did you see? Is she recommending weekly therapy or was that just an evualation? We have weekly for 10 more weeks. Anyways, glad to hear the good report.

Kaci

nathanartz said...

Hey Guys,
I love your blog, Jack is too cute. I am so glad he seems to be doing well, what a huge praise! Sophia has torticollis too, however you spell it, I always get it wrong. She is nine months now and it is gone. We got to go to PT too, I love PT!
We miss you two, now three. I am glad I can see what you are up too on here.
Katie Artz

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe, Miss and Jack,
So you are just going and going! Sorry about the disappointing news about the thickener. May it remind you over and over of all the unmerited favors that you have been blessed with the last 3 months; remembering that this too shall pass.
The way you just keep on trucking is encouraging to me also.
Kaci, thanks for your entries. I love being reminded to pray for you and yours too. You are a great encouragement to us as you have walked and are walking this road of therapy etc.
What an amazing voice Jackson has! It was such a delight to hear him on the phone recently! He will, he will sing! Daddy Nathanael keep on picking that guitar for him.
Much love always,
Jack’s Arkansas Grandma

Selena said...

Our kids hated tummy time for months and months. With the whole "back to sleep" movement kids don't seem to enjoy tummy time as much. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. Jack is so cute. I was so happy to meet him those few weeks ago!

Selena Hemmer

My Three Sons said...

Hey there, I just wanted you to know that I have passed an award off to you. Please stop by my blog and accept. I could only choose 7 and you are always one of the first blogs I jump on to see how cutie Jackson is. Hope you have a great weekend.

Love,

Kaci

Selena said...

I guess I should have said don't worry about him not liking tummy time. I realize it is very important. I'm due five days from now. We are getting pretty excited. We still have no boy names picked out so we may have to scramble to find one if it isn't a girl. The suspense is killing me! Ivy thinks it is going to be "a wittle gurl, wike me!" Take Care!

My Three Sons said...

Okay I was just letting you know that we will be at CMH tomorrow morning with Nancy at OT. I'm thinking 9:30 and we usually finish up around 10:45. I know this was short notice but give me a call on my cell @ 816-616-7346 if your going to be there for any reason.

Kaci